Performance Coaching Process

Nine out of ten modern business firms wants their supervisors and managers to work as a performance coach for their respective teams as a part of the day to day activities. However this is an irony that the line managers and the supervisors are never given access to cutting edge research and knowledge into process coaching.

Studies into process coaching in businesses have revealed that the line managers are extremely confident about their abilities in delivering coaching to their teams. However a close study into their abilities has revealed that they are inadequate in their current skill levels to ensure that they can process coaching to their teams.

Most line managers would love to believe that process coaching is nothing but a one-to-one interaction between them and their team members. However that fact cannot be any further from the truth. Advanced process coaching requires the use of advanced development tools and strategies in self development and progressive growth in performance.

The complex behavioural pattern of a human being is something that is beyond the grasp of an ordinary line manager. He is himself not sure what are his own complex behavioural patterns are let alone trying to change the ones of his team members. The training and development programmes that we engage ourselves in would only impact our work to the extent of 20% the remaining 80% is dominated by our basic behavioural patterns.

Coaching methodologies have been divided into two basic patterns, directive and non directive methods of coaching. Performance coaching would come under the directive forms of coaching as it involves the line managers / team leaders to take time off their busy schedules and then offers coaching in terms of guidance, directives and suggestions to their team members in order to improve their performance in their day to day activities.

On the other hand in non directive methods of coaching the guidance is given so that the individual team member would be able to figure out a solution to the problem in hand themselves. In non directive forms of coaching the ultimate responsibility of the solutions figured will be with the coached and the supervisor will only assume a guiding role. In directive forms of coaching like performance coaching the supervisor will assume that responsibility.

The methods of imparting performance coaching have not changed over the years. In fact the line managers still believe that if you have a problem diagnosed with the team members then the problem can be tackled by leaving the same with the members for a few days. They will figure out a solution for the same in a few days.

What the managers can do however is to provide performance coaching through the means of day to day interactions with their team members in the course of their work every day. An in-time approach when ever coaching is required; to help them tackle a problem can have better results. A more successful approach would be through the use of personal and technical skills which are necessary to improve the efficiency levels.